This recipe was handed down by a wise mom who had a witchy idea how to get some healthy food into her kids who, if they had their druthers, would define chowtime as burgers and pizza. Try it before the kids go out for Halloween trick or treating. Guarantee there will be no ghostly boos.
Easy Dinner That Will Become a Family Favorite All Year Round
If meal time is a groan whenever veggies appear on the menu, before striking up the grill and getting ready to flip another burger or to pile everyone in the car for a mad dash to the local pizza parlor (spending bucks that are hard to come by this year) ,why not try to put together this easy, quick, tasty shepherd pizza pie?
Inspiration being the mother of invention, or is it the other way around, save time and money and do what this wise mom did when she went over to the refrigerator and found a packaged pizza crust she kept in reserve, and then dug into the freezer where she rescued a box of frozen spinach, also discovering,in the pantry, a box of instant potatoes. Add to those a pound of chopped meat and shredded cheddar cheese, here are the makings of delicious and kid friendly pizza shepherd pie.
Dinner Made Easy Halloween or Whenever
Below is the recipe for Shepherd’s Pizza Pie, bound to become the family’s favorite quick and easy meal. Get ready for Halloween. The bright orange topping makes it a perfect dish before little tummies fill up with candy.
Shepherd Pizza Pie
- refrigerator thin pizza crust 11-oz
- frozen spinach 9oz box, thawed and drained
- pure canola oil
- 2 large white eggs
- tomato paste 6 oz
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Freshly Chopped Parsley
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 cups instant mashed potatoes (as directed on package)p
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground plack pepper
- Prepare your Californo pizza oven
- Grease a 9X13 baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil
- Roll out the pizza crust and transfer to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Mix the spinach with the beaten eggs, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper
- In a skillet, heat two tablespoons of oil until hot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and stir until lightly brown. Add ground beef and stir until brown.
- Add the tomato paste, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.Sti until tomato mixture is blended and add fresh parsley.
- Spread the meat mixture over the pizza crust. Add the cup cheese followed by a layer of the spinach mixture. Add another cup of cheese.
- Top with mashed potatoes. Brush with one tablespoon of oil.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes. Cut in wedges and serve.
Serves six hungry appetites.
Hint: The shepherd pizza pie is also a great dish to serve up for pot luck suppers. You can make it the day before, but it is best prepared the day you are planning to make dinner.